Monday, August 22, 2005

Rom Coms I Actually Like

So just because I refuse to see Must Love Dogs and Just Like Heaven and whatever other warmed-over "chick flick" that comes out, doesn’t mean that I don’t like romantic comedies. I just like good romantic comedies–usually ones that break the norm. Here, then, as Exhibit A, is a list of 15 rom coms that I really like (in no particular order):

Kissing Jessica Stein
Funny, clever, unique, and honest, this story of a woman questioning her sexuality is too damn charming–even if the ending is a little too real.

Grosse Point Blank
John Cusack is an international hitman who returns for his high school reunion. How great is that? Minnie Driver is actually desirable in the film. Also, the soundtrack kicks ass! ‘80's!

The Wedding Singer
More ‘80's! This is one of the few funny Adam Sandler movies. Really. Plus it has Billy Idol playing himself. Rockin!

Coldblooded
An obscure Jason Priestly film that is very much worth seeking out. Priestly gives a hilarious performance as a mob hitman (apparently I like "hitmen-in-love" stories) who falls for his yoga instructor. Fantastic dark comedy. Great appearance by Janeane Garofalo as a whore.

The Truth About Cats & Dogs
The truth is...I really like Janeane Garofalo. That’s what makes this otherwise ridiculous movie bearable. I really believe that Janeane might be a lonely girl who doesn’t go out on dates much (that’s much more believable than Meg Ryan or some other A-lister trying to convince me that she can’t get a date). If you don’t like Janeane (or Uma), don’t watch this... the dog on roller skates will make you pray for the sweet release of death.

Shaun of the Dead
People will dispute it, but this really is a romantic comedy. Just with zombies. The movie’s totally worth watching just for the scene with the Prince records...

Before Sunrise/Before Sunset
Okay, so these aren’t really comedies, but they are damn good romantic films. I dare say these are the best romantic movies I’ve ever seen (which, granted, might not be saying much, but whatever). Taken as a whole, they are perfect, although I prefer Before Sunset (that may just be because I’m older now and identify with those characters more).

Clueless
This is just a very clever and subversive movie–disguising Jane Austen as a teenybopper story. Alicia Silverstone is at her best here, and it’s a nice taste of pre-coked out Brittany Murphy. Plus, you’ve gotta love Travis Birkenstock.

The Incredibly True Adventure of Two Girls In Love
It’s like every John Hughes movie–only with lesbians.

Chasing Amy
Lesbian with a twist. I love Kevin Smith, and think this movie is far more realistic than most people realize. Sadly, I speak with a little authority on this one.

Love Actually
For some reason, many guys like this movie–and I mean guys who like sci-fi and comic book movies, and action flicks, and other "boy" stuff. I think it’s because, by and large, the men in this movie get the girl–most notably Colin, who not only gets Shannon Elisabeth while visiting America, but also brings home Denise Richards for his buddy.

Shakespeare in Love
It’s just an incredibly clever and well-written film. Forget about all the Oscar hype or how damn annoying Gwyneth Paltrow can be. The movie is funny–especially for English majors who studied a lot of Shakespeare (i.e. me).

The Sweetest Thing
Less for the love story and more for the really fun portrayal of girlfriends, I watch this movie every time it’s on TV. Sadly, when it’s on TV they cut the hell out of it, so you don’t really appreciate the most risque humour (like Selma Blair trying to get a semen drenched dress to the dry cleaner).

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
I’m loathe to call this a comedy, since I don’t really find it funny. I do, however, think it’s brilliant. It’s one of those movies I wish I’d written. Thank god it’s written by Charlie Kaufman, who wrote his first screenplay at age 30 (there’s still time!!!).

Say Anything
A true classic. Every woman wants or should want their own Lloyd Dobbler. The speech Lloyd gives about not wanting to buy, sell, or process anything as a career is gold. "I gave her my heart and she gave me a pen." Heart-wrenching.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll add one more to your list: "Swingers." Maybe it's trite to live in LA and love "Swingers," but it's such a clever, thoughtful movie with some of the best dialogue and characters I have ever seen (for a romantic comedy). I think my favorite part is shared by the entire male populace -- at the end of the movie when Mike's exgirlfriend calls him and during the phone call, Heather Graham's character, whom he met the night before, also calls him. Just as the ex says "I love you," he hangs up on her to talk to Heather on the other line. Awesome.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I would contend that Swingers isn't actually a romantic comedy, but rather a buddy comedy. But I guess that's up for debate.

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At first, I thought the same thing, but the entire movie is involves Mike getting over his exgirlfriend and he and his friends meeting new girls. The movie ends with a romantic encounter and, ostensibly, meeting the girl of one's dreams. Although, of course, the movie is also about the friendship between the guys, I think the film treats their friendship as secondary to Mike's romantic pursuits.

6:45 AM  
Blogger Soy Noodles said...

You're the biggest lesbian I know. Wear that with pride.

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home